Friday, March 11, 2011

So how has training been going?

(Read my first blog about the marathon before you read this one!

So far I have really been enjoying the marathon training. I have been following the schedule I found online for marathon beginners. It involves 4 days a week of running, one day of cross training, and two days off. I thought it was crazy to start training in the winter (training started January 1), but it has actually been super cool. I have always hated winter because it is SO cold and you have to stay inside all the time. Being on the running schedule, though, got me outdoors even when it was cold and dreary. With the right clothes and the occasional schedule adjustment or basement run due to snow, winter running has been incredible. I haven't felt cooped up, I have been getting fresh air and soaking up the sunlight (through 3 layers of clothes). Up until this week, I only ran distances I have run before as I trained for a half marathon 6 years ago.

Yesterday I had my first run over 13.1 miles (that's how long a half marathon is), so it was a new "longest run" for me. I ran 15 miles, combining 3 running routes to make a circle around our town.

It was my second bad run of the training. First, I am incredibly grateful to have had so many good runs in the last 10 weeks. Second, it was harder mentally than I expected. I woke up crabby and couldn't shake the crabbiness. I got two new CDs to listen to, and I didn't like either one. However, it is such a feeling of accomplishment to have done something I have never done before. I am not very sore today. I can check 15 off my list and look ahead to the 16 miles I am supposed to run on Wednesday. I think that is a true test for me. I have run 13 miles four times in my life, as far as I can remember, and each time I have been able to take some time off before my next run.

I will keep you updated on the running and fundraising. This week I have to adjust the schedule a bit because we are getting two special visitors at my house! I am so excited, and hope to post some pictures of their visit. They arrive on Wednesday!

No comments: