Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Emerald Wizard

The Emerald Wizard is my new watch. Yes, I named it. No, I don't normally name things that aren't alive. But this one gets a name. And it is incredible.

My new watch is a Garmin Forerunner 405. It knows the time and date and the length of time I have been running, like any running watch. It also knows my pace, my average pace, it tells me how many calories I have burned (I think that is a guess, because I don't know how it would know that), my heartrate, my elevation, my pace, it can track a course and get me back to my starting point, it can tell me exactly how far I've gone (that is my favorite feature), and it keeps track of all the miles I have ever run with it. It also works for biking and other activities. It automatically speaks with my computer and inputs today's data when it is within a meter of the computer and I have the flash drive in my computer. Then it moves today's data to storage and clears the screen for the next time I want to use it. It has a touch screen of sorts and various displays so I can see the information that I want to see when I am running.

It does even more than this, but I can't remember everything and I figure you probably skimmed over the last paragraph anyway. This was a gift, and it was one of the best gifts ever. I am so thankful to have it, and it has already changed some of the ways I mentally categorized running. I love it, love it, love it.

No comments: